The first year at SSU is a time to adjust and orientate to community living and degree-level studies. For many students it’s their first time away from home; our aim is to provide a supportive community environment in which each student can exercise their independence whilst feeling ‘at home’ in Park Hall.
The Foundation Year is the name we give to the first year of all our undergrad degrees. Courses are designed to introduce you to several different subjects and ideas, which we believe is important before you decide on your major. A series of integrated workshops supplement these courses, inspiring the attitudes and values that prepare you for a successful start in your studies and your life in the SSU community. Upon successful completion of at least eight courses, you can then go into the second year of either SSU’s Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of International Studies (BIS) programs.
Join us in our Foundation Year program and you will:
- discover more about your interests and passionsdevelop strong reading, writing, and research skills
- learn in an atmosphere of dialogue and respect, in which the big questions of meaning and relationships are valued and integrated
- understand the distinctives of the different disciplines and the benefits of an interdisciplinary approach
- be introduced to SSU’s values of community engagement and innovation as we develop a life of “justice, beauty and compassion”
- learn together in a community of friends and professorscontinue directly into a full SSU BA or BIS degree program
We believe there is a direct connection between success in academic studies and one’s spiritual and emotional wellbeing. So our student body is small (under 100 students) intentionally; our small size means that close relationships develop between students, faculty and staff, who can focus on the academic and personal development of each individual. We pay attention to students’ mental health and physical wellbeing, and offer various forms of support within our community.